Andreu Balius [type design]
Profile | Studio | Type | Text | Interviewed | Workshops | Tours & events
Andreu Balius is a type designer based in Barcelona (Spain). He studied Sociology 1980-1984 at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) and Graphic Design 1985-1989 at IDEP Design College, Barcelona. He holds a PhD in Design from the University of Southampton (UK).
He runs his own studio, specialized in type design & typography. In 1993 launched Garcia fonts & co. type project and founded Typerware studio (1996-2001), working for clients such as La Vanguardia newspaper, La Fura dels Baus and Primavera Sound Festival, among others.
In 2003 he created Typerepublic, a digital type foundry where he releases some of his type designs and designs custom typefaces for newspapers and corporate identities. He has designed custom typefaces for companies such as Victoria's Secret, Lladró, Ferrovial, Signes, Valencia Tourism Bureau, RBA, and text faces for newspapers such as La Gaceta, Tribuna (Salamanca, Spain) and La Discusión (Chile).
Balius is author of the book "Type at work. The use of Type in Editorial Design", published in English by BIS (Amsterdam, 2003), and has written several articles on typography in graphic catalogues and design magazines. He is a member of AGI (Alliance Graphique Internationale) and ATypI (Association Typographique Internationale) country delegate.
Balius is associate professor at Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona. He teaches Lettering and type design at Elisava school in Barcelona and is invited to give lectures and workshops around the world. Lectures include speeches at AtypI (Helsinki'05, Lisbon'06 and Mexico'09), SND-ÑH Lisboa 2002, ImagineIT (Accademia di Belle Arti, Bologna 2007), Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, 2007 St Bride conference (Birmingham 2006), University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland, (Lugano, 2007), and keynote speaker at International Type Conference in Valencia and Madrid, Spain (2004, 2006).
Workshops on typography & type design include those made at Aalto University, Helsinki 2010; Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa, 2010; UNL-Santa Fe, Argentina, 2010, Universidad Andrés Bello, Santiago, Chile, 2011.
Balius has been awarded with two Certificates of Excellence in Type Design by the TDC (New York, 2002 - 2005) and a Certificate of Excellence in Type Design by the ATypI (Rome, 2001). He has won a ED award in 2010 and a commendation at Creative review type design Award. He also won the Adobe "Power of Design" award in 1997 and the "People's Choice award" at Macromedia, San Francisco (1997).
Click here for a short biographical note.
Also, further information can be accessed below:
• Gráffica Award 2013
• GOLD European Design Award 2013. Self-initiated projects. Beograd, 2013 (Cárnicas Gráficas book).
• People's choice award (Carmen typeface). Exhibition Selected C - Graphic Design from Europe. Bilbao, 2012
• Laus Award. ADG-FAD, 2011. (Barna typeface)
• Laus Award. ADG-FAD, 2011. (Al Andalus typeface)
• Laus award. ADG-FAD, 2011. (Victoria's Secret typeface)
• Bronze European Design Award. 2011. (Al Andalus typeface)
• Bronze European Design Award. 2010. (Dsignes typeface)
• Letra Award. Premios Nacionales de Comunicación Visual y Gráfica de Entorno, 2009.
• Commendation Type Design Awards. Creative Review. London, 2006.
• Excellence in Type Design. Type Directors Club (TDC-New York), 2005.
• AEPD Design Award 2002-2003.
• Silver Award. Art Directors Club of Europe (ADCE) 2002.
• Excellence in Type Design (Jury's choice). Type Directors Club (TDC-New York), 2002.
• Excellence in Type Design. Association Typographique Internationale. Bukva:raz! ATypI, 2001.
• People's Choice Award. Macromedia. San Francisco, 1997.
• Power of Design Award. ADOBE Europe Ltd. Londres, 1997.
• AEPD Design Award 1996 que atorga la Asociación Española de Profesionales del Diseño. Madrid, 1996.
• Infomac Award. Apple Computer España & Creativity News. Barcelona, 1995.
• Premio Barcelona de Grafismo y Comunicación Municipal en Catalunya, 1994.
Conference presentations (selection)